Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Train Tracks, Sunsets and Rearview Mirrors




There is something extremely special, and perhaps precious about the unexpected gifts life gives us. They can be simply moments, they’re there and then they’re gone forever, forgotten in the rearview mirror, as we keep moving, changing. But then there are the gifts that stick, the ones we take with us wherever our dreams lead us. Found in all shapes and colours, I found my gift amongst the tall grass on the first day of my arrival at school. Whenever I travel to a new place, I need to find a place to call my own. Somewhere I can go and think, or just admire the beauty in God’s profound creation. On that first day, when I first heard the whistle blow, I knew I had found my place. The train tracks, situated behind the school, over look the vast fields that continue as far as the eye can see. On a clear day, the mountains can be seen in the distance, their peaks jutting up into the bright blue. If you’re lucky, and time it just right, the sunset from these tracks can steal your breath. Friendships have been formed on these very tracks, and memories made that have deeply touched my life and the ones close to me. Laughs, cries, moments of deep conversation or cherished moments spent in utter silence… each a stone on the side of the track, making up the base our train of life so quickly passes by on. As life continues to fly by, so do the times spent at this precious place, where time seems to stand still, if only for a moment, as you lye next to the track and feel the ground shake as the train flies by you taking the minutes of your life along with it. Forever captured inside my heart, these memories will be ones I carry with me, as I watch the train go by in the rearview mirror.


2 comments:

smitty89 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
smitty89 said...

so glad you are finding some time to do a bit of writing...somehow i knew when we dropped you off at prairie that you would be drawn to the tracks (the old tree out back is waiting for you to come home)...heard you were doing some sketching too (you'll have to figure out a way to post your art too)...just wanted to encourage you to keep at it and continue to share, i'm guessing i'm not the only one being blessed by your posts...miss you, love momx0x