Wednesday, March 5, 2008

When the World Seems to Stop


Today I felt the world stop. It is Tuesday March 4th, the day that would mark our final day in Patzun. This morning held many treasures, yet in that many challenges as well. It was our second day running a kid’s program at the school, and both days turned out to be huge successes. The children here have a way of grabbing your heart right from the first moment… and for three particular little boys, they did just that on day one. Alex, Edgar and Louis have been such a gift from God on this trip. If our time here were meant for nothing more then to just be here to play with them, each of us would’ve been fully content. But in the midst of this precious gift, came the challenge of saying good-bye. As our time at the Church this morning came closer and closer to its end, our group began to somber, knowing it would soon be time to part with these three friends. We gathered around to say goodbye, and Alex, the oldest, burst into tears. I watched helplessly as he went around to each of us, clutching onto our shirts and occasionally taking the time to brush the tears away from his eyes with the back of his hand.
As we walked away, all I could focus on was the sight of my feet, walking down the dirt road for the last time, the bright purple nail polish on my toes, and the sound of my flip flops as they smacked against the dirt. Everything else was silent. I no longer could hear the sound of cars honking their horns, or the business of people walking, yelling, and whistling. For one little boy the world had stopped, and somehow, mine had as well. I disagree with Elenor Roosevelt when she said "Many people walk in and out of your life, but only true friends leave footprints on your heart". Some people have a way of leaving their mark instantaneously without you even realizing. I will never forget this time in Patzun, the people, and especially those three little boys. As I leave on the bus in a few hours, I will take my final glance at Patzun, but forever I will carry it’s footprint on my heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww.. Ness. It sure does sound like your heart has been forever touched! What a great experience to have such a strong connection with those boys. They are so blessed to have had the opportunity to meet you guys, and to spend time with you. Their hearts have also been forever touched. Keep up the awesome work hun! Love hearing all about your adventures. miss you so much!
xo

Kyle said...

wow thats an awesome story. Reading your words makes me feel like i just walked those dirt roads with you. It looks like yall are having an awesome time and making a huge impact. I cant wait to hear about everything thats gonna happen soon.