Sunday, January 20, 2008

Hola de Guatemala


Well, this will be my full second day in Guatemala, and at this moment I am feeling extremely overwhelmed with so many different things, but I am excited for what is to come. Friday was a day full of travel... 3 flights, each approx. 4 hours long, and just enough time in between each to get from one gate to another. We left school sometime after 4am, and arrived on Guatemalan soil around 10pm, with a 2 hour drive through the countryside ahead of us to get to our final destination in Chimaltenango... Guatemala Bible Seminary. We are here throughout our time in Guatemala, but after today wont be back for 3 weeks. The next two weeks will be spent in Antigua where we will be attending language school during the days, and we are paired off, staying in various homes with different families in Antigua. I am extremely excited to get better at the language, it is definitely an odd feeling not being able to communicate with people.
Yesterday we were able to go out and walk around the town a bit, tour the markets. That was a wild experience. Everything is so loud here... music playing from stores and cars, people yelling, cars honking... it's good to be back : )

We are in
Chimaltenango, Antigua, and Panajachel--> see map

2 comments:

Katrina Annunziello said...

ahh, the beautiful country of Guatemala.. a place that has captured my heart. I am thinking of you in the warm weather as I sit here in freezing Ontario. Have an amazing time sweetie.. I know you will! :)
p.s. this blog is amazing! I would love to create one like it, as soon as I have anything exciting to post about, haha.

smitty89 said...

hello sunshine!!! I was just thinking about you packing 'light' last night for the next three weeks because you're traveling on a chicken bus...remember when you called the first time you were in guatemala and told me that you volunteered to go on the chicken bus and I was terrified when you discribed it and then horrified when I tortured myself by looking further into what exactly a chicken bus was on the computer. I am a little more relaxed this time (but pray for your safety continually). Can't wait to hear how your spanish lessons are going and everything about your host family. Your sisters had a 'snow day' today (another foot of snow - grand total 3ft in 3 days...CRAZY)
they wish you were here........
(to help with the shoveling haha) and to have a little fun with the paint ball guns. Can't wait for your next entry and photos.

love you all away around the world and back again x0x
(Galations 2:10 All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.)