Monday, December 22, 2008

Finally Home for Christmas

With my final day at the hospital completed, I eagerly packed up some last minute items, and loaded my backpack into a friends van- destination Calgary. There was about 7 of us nursing students heading home for the Holidays, so it was really nice to spend our final time together Road Trip style, even if it was only an hour and a half drive. After dropping my roommate off at the airport, the rest of us catching later flights that weekend headed to Wendy's for dinner and then to the Chinook Mall where we would all get picked up and head our separate ways. While waiting for my friend Janelle to come get me, I stumbled across the Twilight novels in a bookstore, and eagerly picked up the first two novels to read in transit. I realize by doing this I am falling into line with the many other Twilight enthusiasts... and up to a few days prior I really thought the books sounded rediculous. But when, being extremely bored one night, I watched a blurry internet copy of the film version I found myself really getting into the story, and it was decided I HAD to get my hands on those books.



Since my flight was not until Saturday afternoon, I had planned to stay with my Discover friend, Janelle, in Calgary for the two nights prior. We were able to get some outdoor skating action in, eventhough the daily temperatures were in the -30's, but made sure to do lots of Hot Chocolate drinking, and knitting by a warm fire to thaw ourselves out afterwards. I am so glad I was able to spend that time with such an amazing friend. Definitely Cherished.





With my luck flying and travelling in general, I would have been a fool to think this trip would be any different then the others, however even with the amount of Cancelled flights in Toronto the day before, I was still hopefully went I got to the airport (but still checked in 3 hours ahead just to be safe). But of course, eventhough I was the first to be at the gate, the lady at the desk informed me that the flight i was on was overbooked by 7 or so people, and through a series of 'random factors' I was one of the lucky 7 to wait until the plane was completely borded until they started clearing us onto the flight. I still think the fact that I was young, travelling alone, and making no connecting flights might have had something to do with it, not to mention that I am permanently jinxed with travelling to the point where people don't want to travel with me! haha.
But I did make it on the flight and arrived on time and safe to Toronto, without my baggage, but I did make it.

I am excited to spend time with family and friends over the next few days as Christmas draws nearer. Hope Everyone has a Merry Christmas!

No comments: