Monday, May 25, 2009

India Medical Clinic- Day One



I am so filled with countless emotions I do not know where to start this description. To accurately relay to you what I have just experienced I would have to know exactly what I felt, but I simply cannot grasp my own emotions. However, as I begin to share this story perhaps I will be able to bring out emotions in all of you, in hopes that you feel connected in some way to what I, and my medical team experienced today.

This morning I woke up, drenched in sweat, with a persistent craving for cold water that simply never seems to be quenched here. Exhausted from a restless night I slowly staggered into the bathroom excited for the few minutes of the refreshing coolness I would receive in my icy shower. At least today seemed to be a ‘cooler’ day of only 38 degrees Celsius. A few short hours later we had ate breakfast, had devotions together and were on the road (in an SUV with blessed air conditioning, praise God) to our first medical clinic. This one was hosted in a small church only a short drive away, and as we got closer the excitement of unknowns began to rise incredibly. Soon we were setting up admission tables, chairs for our waiting area, our assessment area, wound care station, doctor’s table and ‘pharmacy’. All within a church 30” by 40” and a small shaded area created by hanging palm leaves like a tarp canopy. Within minutes we were in full swing seeing patients, doing all our assessments through translators. Such an incredible experience, and an amazing rush!

Then began what I’m sure were brimming tears of frustration when I began to receive simply devastating cases, ones I knew we alone could not fix. I have always thought that working in an area of the hospital such as emerg would be exciting… and it would, however I forgot about what it might feel like to tell a woman, who is so malnourished you can clearly see the stage 5 lump protruding from her breast, that she has breast cancer, knowing that she does not have the funds to give her a hope for survival. Or perhaps see the look on the man’s face who had to stop going for insulin treatment for his diabetes because it was too expensive for him to afford that after testing his blood sugar level twice (just to make sure the machine was in fact reading correctly) that the level was too high even for the glucometer to read, this condition critical and that without treatment his life was greatly endangered. I didn’t know what it would feel like to speak these words to someone, a human being, a precious creation of God, until today. And I am not sure that if I had taken the time to ponder this beforehand I even would’ve understood. I’m sure it was brimming tears of frustration. And yet somewhere in the midst of the heat, the sweat, the loud shuttering of metal from the overhead fans, the yelling and vehicles honking outside, and the various conversations happening between nurse, interpreter, and patient in the room I was still able to hear that soft, still voice, and feel his presence as I was able to pray over my patients, and realize once again that yes, there still is hope.

I had hoped that becoming a nurse would allow me to go into places I wouldn’t otherwise be able to go, and share Christ’s love with people who otherwise wouldn’t receive. It is amazing to finally see this, to live it. India is not a place that accepts missionary work, and we have to be careful on a daily basis who we are talking to and how much information we give out. But it is so incredible to see people who would otherwise never step a foot near a Christian church, come for medical help and willingly allow you to pray over them—sometimes to our joyous surprise even ASK us to pray for them. We saw over 150 people today, and how incredible to plant a seed in their lives, even when everything else seemed so hopeless.

5 comments:

smitty89 said...

~ Praise God, for he is right beside you giving you the strength you need to care for the sick and weak and give them some comfort and hope in Him ~

thankyou so very much for capturing these beautiful women with your lens (I feel like I am looking at them through you and it's awesome to think that my girl is making them smile :)

love ya around the world and back again x0x

tin can photography said...

A wonderful update, Vanessa! Your group can truly offer these people a treatment they can be eternally grateful for--an awesome mission.

Anonymous said...

Darling Vanessa, It's your 'sister' Erin "Osburn" Fordham here. I know it's been so long since i've been in touch. I can relate to your 'life is crazy' post :)

I just want to say how incredibly proud I am of you, I can't even imagine how God echos that as well...He is singing over you princess a song of Joy and Hope and one that will empower you to bring Peace and Healing to these people you embrace every day in India. I know HE has you in His very strong hands and He will not let you go. Know that you're making an eternal difference and that HE is healer, and you are vessel. I love you friend.

I'm so excited you're getting married. When you're back from India, we should have a skype date and catch up. It's been way too long.

So much love and blessings girl. xx

ps. you've inspired me, i think i need to start a blog!

Kyle said...

Wow that is incredible Ness. I had never imagined some of those things like the way you described them. You know i really like learning medical things and being able to help people with that, but I dont think I could do what you are doing. After reading your post I am overwhelmed at how amazing the things are that yall are doing there. I hope it is even better than you dreamed of : )

Katrina said...

Ness, reading your blog brought tears my eyes. You have depicted your experience to us so well. It breaks my heart to hear the stories you have told. I can not imagine how difficult it would be to have to tell those people those things. But what an incredible opportunity you have, to be used by God, and have God speak through you to these hurting people. I will be praying for you love, and for all the people you will encounter. Tonight, I will pray for the lady with breast cancer, and the man with diabetes. I know that that would have made my Dad so sad. Love you hun, and love what you're doing! Can't wait to read the next post. xoxo